Thursday 2 November 2017

Disease Modifying Drugs (MS Diaries)

Today I am starting treatment for my MS.

I have met with my MS Nurse twice since my diagnosis last month, and after lots of research and reading I was pretty set on which way I'd go when it came to Disease Modifying Drugs (DMDs).

So what are Disease Modifying Drugs?
DMDs work with different parts of the immune system to reduce the inflammation caused by MS to nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord. This helps reduce the number and severity of relapses. 
Source: Multiple Sclerosis Trust
Basically - they're a big thing and it's a big decision.

I settled on Tecfidera, as I feel it would suit my lifestyle well. Plus it's a tablet and not a needle, unlike 75% of other Multiple Sclerosis treatments. And if you know anything about me you'll know I don't like needles.

Tecfidera does come with some side effects, and my nurse gave me a "cheat sheet" of tips and tricks to help reduce them, so we will see how that goes.

One thing I will be doing is tracking everything. So I have bitten the bullet and invested in a dotted notebook, and I am starting a bullet journal to track my dose, when I take it, what I take it with, what side effects I have. Everything.

Wish me luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment